Navy Pier

In Landscapesby Patrick

NavyPier899 copy

Originally the Navy Pier was to be a dock for freights, passenger traffic and a space for indoor and outdoor recreation for the public. Many events were held at the pier, such as expositions, pageants and other types of entertainment. In 1927, the pier was renamed Navy Pier to honor the naval veterans who served in the First World War. In 1941, during World War II the pier became a training center for the Navy. About 10,000 people worked, trained and resided there. The pier contained a 2,500-seat theater, gym, 12-chair barber shop, tailor, cobbler shops, soda fountain and a vast kitchen and hospital. Today the Navy Pier is a 3,300-foot-long pier on the Chicago shoreline of Lake Michigan. The Navy Pier currently encompasses more than fifty acres of parks, gardens, shops, restaurants, family attractions and exhibition facilities and is the top leisure destination in the Midwest, drawing nearly nine million visitors annually.[2] It is one of the most visited attractions in the entire Midwestern United States and is Chicago’s number one tourist attraction. It is a phenomenal place view the light house and tall ships which can still be seen on the Great Lakes today

Share this Post